Saturday, August 27, 2011

We are still hanging in there!

The results today were unexpected. Good because the HCG level went from 4.6 to 16. It did a little more than triple which is hopeful, but still a low number. The other concern is my progesterone level. At 2.9 it is very low. I spoke to a different nurse today and she was not sympathetic in the least. In a matter of fact way she said she does not believe this to be a viable pregnancy based on the hormone levels. The RE wanted me to start progesterone injections right away. The problem with that is that it is the weekend and I can’t get anything delivered until Monday. The fertility clinic did not have any on hand to give me. None of the local pharmacies had any. For now I will increase the progesterone cream to twice a day instead of the once a day I was doing. I have to return to the clinic on Wednesday and have my levels checked again.

What I want to know is why did they not check my progesterone levels with the first blood draw? I thought it was standard practice to run progesterone levels and estrogen levels along with the beta HCG. I know the previous clinics did. I’m not trying to discredit this clinic I just don’t understand why that part was left out. What if it would have made a difference to start the progesterone injections following the first test? Naturally I am confused and upset over everything that is going on. I want answers so I am looking at this from every possible angle.

We are trying to remain hopeful. I talked to IM today and they are just as confused as I am. We don’t know how to feel to be honest. We were torn because on the one hand the HCG did more than we expected it to. We want to be happy about that but we are worried about the progesterone levels. I wondered if it was possible that the embryo implanted late in the cycle. IPs were thinking along the same lines. We have both been trying to research as much as possible. There is a lot of discouraging reads out there but there are also some that were encouraging. I ready one where a woman started out with and HCG level of 4.3 and she now has a healthy son that resulted from that pregnancy. There were several that had low progesterone and with supplements were able to go on to have a healthy pregnancy. It is possible that we can beat the odds too? With God all things are possible! We will continue to pray for our miracle.

I guess I should start praying for patience as well. Wednesday seems so far away! I want answers and I want to be able to give this family some good news now! The waiting is hard. The not knowing is hard. This whole process leading up to this was difficult enough for all of us but much more so for IPs. Don’t they deserve some good news?

No comments: